Sunday, February 9, 2014

Settling in Ntinda


Kyambogo University is nestled between two distinct areas of Kampala, each with their own personality. One of those two areas is Ntinda. The apartment I am staying at is located between Ntinda and the University, giving me a nice walk each day. I want to describe Ntinda for you. First, I have to admit that the descriptions pale in comparison with the actual experience of the place. It is nearly impossible to describe the myriad of sounds and rich smells. Also, many of our words for poverty are pejorative and this makes it difficult to describe the visual scene and cultural context in a way that captures its richness.  Ntinda is a bustling shopping district. You can find almost anything you need (besides electronic and high tech stuff) in this area. There is one woman-owned cottage industry where the owner dyes her own fabric and sells it. I always return with about 4 yards of something from her. Last fall, I wore a dress I made of this fabric on the first day of school. Every time I visit there are new buildings in Ntinda.  This time I spotted a glass-sided building going in. From where I stay, at the extreme upper end of Ntinda road, there is about a mile distance to the main hub of the area. Also, every time I come there are improvements to the roads and the ditches (for draining the water during the rainy seasons).


 As I walked to Ntinda this morning, I was passed by a group of bicyclists - about 7 white people led by an African man. Huffing and puffing their way up the road. This was a new sight for me here.

On Sunday morning the busy Ntinda is at its calmest. Most people are in church and shopping does not really begin until after services. I walked up the road to get in my morning walk and to take a few pictures to share with you. The air was filled with singing. Beautiful, sweet singing. A myriad of churches in the area. 


 

One of the pictures I took this morning is of matooki – from the banana family. It is not sweet and has a consistency of thick mashed potatoes when cooked. Matooki is a staple in the Ugandan diet. I love it and it’s a good thing since it is served as part of almost every meal.

 


On this visit I will be cooking for myself for the first time. James stocked the kitchen with potatoes, onions, tomatoes, margarine, jelly, and ketsup. Sister Kaawha brought over lettuce, greens, beans, bananas, cabbage, avocado, and papaya. I guess I am set. It seems like more food than I could possibly eat.  I had planned on eating lunch out most days (not at Mr. Tasty – Meagan Call-Cummings take note), and only cooking a little in the evening… but these groceries inspire me.


2 comments:

  1. I am very impressed by the lady standing on the street. Her gesture, her facial expression, and her clothes, all seem very charming to me. Also, a little bit surprised by how many cars you captured in your picture...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lady is really striking, I agree. I was surprised by the number of cars. There are not really that many in comparison, but because of the shape and size of the roads, the streets feel crowded with cars in the city.

    ReplyDelete