Thursday, July 10, 2014

Child's Rights Part One

I am saying Part I because I cannot possibly even know where to begin to talk about the lecture I went to today. I thought I would start with a little introduction and then share a bit of what the children say themselves.

An early childhood professor, Caroline Kavuma is doing a project in 5 primary schools where she works with primary teachers to create classrooms where a child's right to participation is respected. I think the points she makes are really good and interesting and I will write more about them in the future. To start the program off, children from 3 of the 5 schools in which she is doing her project presented songs, poems, essays, and skits. There was no way to record all these as I had not carried my video camera to Uganda. I also had left my audio recording device at the house. I did have my camera, so I was able to capture a small bit of video with it. One of the things that was so striking to me is how the children were talking about abuses as common knowledge. They seemed so powerful in their presentations. The only one of the videos I could get to load is the one below of a girl reciting her poem about defilement. I have a lovely video of a class singing about respecting children's rights and if I figure out why it is not loading I will share it.


Here is one of the poems - it is on the topic of defilement.








The children discussed child trafficking, child sacrifice and other forms of abuse in their poems, essays, and skits. They also talked about what it was like to feel respected and listened to. They were building up their confidence as a cohort of children to, at least, know that these abuses are wrong, violate their rights, and negatively impact their abilities as children to reach their full potential.  They shared many stories that illustrated both their exposure to and wisdom about their own safety and well-being.


Here are pictures of the march they held following the program.




And I will close with a poem that was written and performed by one of the post-graduate education students. Her name is Nayiga Immaculate and she performed with two other colleagues: Agudo Winnie and Ekodu Paul.

Children Learn as They Grow

Take off your adult glasses
See us just as children - as we are
For you were once children.
Give us a chance to also be
For we are just children
And we learn as we grow.


Take off your adult glasses
Treat us as children.
We need to school, feed, and play.
We hate your games of violence and abuse.
For we are just children
And we learn as we grow.


Forget not! Our dear parents,
Guardians and neighbors,
That in our hearts and eyes
You are the egg yolk.
When you hatch hatred,
You breed vengence and violence
Into our souls.
But remember,
We are just children
And we learn as we grow.


You are our parents.
We adore you.
You are the examples and role models, we plead.
When you heed to our  needs,
When you hatch love,
We will blossom into everlasting love and joy.
For we are only children
And we learn as we go.


Take off your adult glasses.
Look into the future.
When you are gone and we are the kings
Presiding over the world,
Enthroned by your lessons of
Love, education and hardwork,
What a bed of roses the world will be
For generations to come.
For there will always be children
Eager to learn as they grow.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks. Indeed children learn as they grow.

    ReplyDelete